On the government shutdown- and what you can do
What is being cut?
- WIC- 53% of American infants qualify, and without WIC, over 9 million mothers and children are at risk. WIC is considered a nonessential service despite helping with food, healthcare and education for low income women* and children. The USDA estimates most states have funds to continue their programs for “a week or so,” but they’ll “likely be unable to sustain operations for a longer period” — emergency funds may run out by the end of October, putting lives at risk.
- The CDC Flu Shot Program- actually impacts people right where I am. The CDC is not giving flu shots out to people at risk or low income people. This is a risk for the health of both them and those who cannot get the shot and will be put at risk of catching the flu.
- The Department of Housing and Urban Development- can no longer give local housing authorities additional money for housing vouchers. The nation’s 3,300 public housing authorities will also stop receiving payments. Again, low income people are the ones hurt by this
- Social Security- can’t help recipients replace their benefit cards or schedule new hearings for disability cases.
- Labor Department- the Wage and Hour Division and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration will both be closed.
- Department of Veterans Affairs- If the shutdown lasts more than 3 weeks, it may not have enough money to pay disability claims and pension payments. That hits almost 4 million vets.
- The federal funds that help states pay the costs of their unemployment programs could be affected depending on the length of the shutdown.
- FHA new home loan guarantees may end.
- Farm loans and farm payments will stop.
- At least 800,000 government employees are not going to get paid for the length of the shutdown
- The Head Start Program's preschoolers aren't going to be able to attend. I actually volunteer with Head Start and I know a number of my kids are going to be going hungry this week. This is killing me and I am going around with a few co workers this afternoon to check on the families and bring groceries. 23 programs in 11 states ran out of federal grant money on Sept. 30. Those 23 programs service about 19,000 children in total. As for their parents? They need to find other childcare options, which could mean missing work, losing income and possibly their jobs
- Low income heating assistance will be suspended- potentially causing deaths in the Northern US depending on the length of the shutdown and the weather
These are the “nonessential programs” being cut. These are the people who are being hurt. This shutdown doesn’t impact the idiots on capitol hill- this impacts the poor, the elderly, women, POC, and children. Those who are already frequently hurt in society are just going to be victimized further.
I hate everyone right now.
So, CeCe, what should we do???
Well, I’ve donated some large cases of infant formula to a number of local food banks that are going to honor WIC benefits despite not actually being able to accept them. Donating needed items is an amazing start.
But more than that, go volunteer. Check on your local food banks, see if you can prepare packages. I’m Jewish, but the local Methodist church that is about a stone’s throw away from my school (and also where I volunteer on Sunday in the nursery) is doing a dinner every night for the next week, as well as bag lunches, for low income families. After the next week, we don’t know what we’ll do. I’m working with them tonight to serve food, and will be taking bags on foot to local homes- I can’t drive, or I’d do more.
So get out there. Do something in your community. Help those who are being hit hardest, people who are already marginalized and victimized by society. Show Congress that even if they are unfeeling, uncaring assholes who are not willing to compromise, we care about our fellow human beings. We as a whole are better than them.
Call your congresspeople, regardless of their party. Get on their cases, flood their phone lines and emails.
And most of all, remember this come next election. Our political memories are short lived, but we cannot let this stand. Remember the men and women who, due to partisan politics, were willing to let children go hungry, to let people lose their jobs and incomes during what needs to be a time of economic recovery, were willing to let people go without essential healthcare or pension checks.
Do not forget what Congress was willing to do to make a point.
No, like I’ve got a serious question.
The shutdown stopped funding for the WIC and lots of people are bitching about it online which doesn’t do much of anything.
So if I were to go buy some cans of formula and canned goods or something that could be given to people who need it, where should I take it?
so far we’ve got the sink fandom, the staircase fandom, and now the bathroom fandom
but what about the bed fandom
it’s a flipping ship man
it’s like you could fall and die at any moment but you live for the risk
you are sleeping in a flipping hamburger don’t tell me that isn’t wild
sleepover galore now your guests don’t have to sleep on the ground or crap
like you’re hatching from a sleep egg
i dunno i like this. you can watch fish swim or something
caw caw mofos
don’t lie you would try to roll this baby
crossover between the fandoms
don’t you dare tell me that beds aren’t the deal right now
I miss you
Oh my god I miss you too. Can we go to the movies sometime or something.
Hi guys. I haven’t been on in a long time. Ilu. <3
Do you know one of the worst things you can say to me when my internet is working, Dad?
"Let me see your computer."
There are so many things you don’t need to know, Dad.
Uh oh. I’m starting Welcome to Night Vale. Am I in trouble?
yet again I could not pay my phone bill so here I am on my old sucky Internet
the money I need is estimated to come in in a little over a week and then it’ll take three days to transfer to my bank account and another few days before I can actually get to the CVS to pay for it since for some reason Boost Mobile hates PO boxes as mailing addresses for debit/credit cards
My internet sucks too, barely able to get on anymore. Just letting you know I saw this. Text me when possible. Also if you’re on aim or whatever similar app, the username chemicalconcerto is always mobile, and goes directly to my phone. See you later.
This blog is 100% satisfied with the 12th Doctor’s casting
I wish it were socially acceptable to say “I want someone to do this list of nice things for me like buy me books or ask celebrities to tweet me” without sounding like you’re begging.